Frequently Asked Questions
01 WHAT IS CANINE NOSE WORK?
It is an activity where the dog is using its nose to locate a target scent or odour. It is a relatively new dog sport in Australia, but is rapidly gaining popularity. It is inspired by the model of working detection dogs.
02 WHAT IS K9 NOSE WORK®?
It is a training methodology developed by the NACSW founders. Its goal is for the companion dog to have an outlet for their natural hunting and scenting abilities.
03 WHAT IS YOUR TRAINING METHODOLOGY?
K9 Nose Work methodology uses positive reinforcement technique where the dog is rewarded with their favourite food or toy when he/she finds the target odour.
04 DOES MY DOG NEED ANY FORMAL OBEDIENCE TRAINING BEFORE STARTING NOSE WORK CLASS?
No formal obedience training required. In fact, K9 Nose Work classes are “obedience free”. We want our dogs to focus on the search and to search independently.
05 IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT FOR A DOG TO START NOSEWORK TRAINING?
There is no age limit on when a dog can join the class as long as the pup has all the required vaccinations.
06 MY DOG IS REACTIVE TO OTHER DOGS, IS HE SUITABLE FOR THE CLASS?
Yes, the class is designed so that only one dog works at a given time. The other dogs are crated in the car. Your dog will not meet another dog in the class.
07 HOW IS THE CLASS RUN?
Only one dog will work at any given time. Other dogs are crated away from the work area. Other participants will watch as you learn so much by watching others.
08 DOES MY DOG NEED TO BE CRATED IN THE CAR?
Yes, when your dog is not working, it is expected that you will crate your dog in the car. If your dog is anxious staying alone in the car, you may need someone to stay in the car with your dog.
09 CAN YOU TRAIN MY DOG TO BECOME A MEDICAL ALERT, BOMB DETECTION OR TRUFFLE DOG?
K9 NOSE WORK® program is not designed for any kind of professional detection. The purpose is to engage the dog in the game of nose work, build confidence and provide mental/physical exercises.
10 HOW DO I ENROL IN YOUR COURSE?
By clicking on the “Get notifications for this course” button located at the website in the Service menu and entering your name, number and email address. This will include you in the mailing list so when classes are made available you will receive an email with an invitation to enrol. Emails are sent out every 7 to 8 weeks (except during summer break) and will include all the information you need to know to enrol in the course.
11 HOW MANY DOG TEAMS WILL BE IN EACH CLASS?
There will be no more than 7 dog teams in each course.
12 13 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD GIVE K9 NOSE WORK A GO:
1) You and your dog will have fun
2) Uses reward based training methodology
3) Giving CHOICE and CONTROL to the dog
4) Activate the SEEKING system and dopamine surges through their brain which is so therapeutic for the dog
5) Builds focus and confidence in the dog
6) Almost all dogs including reactive, older, blind and deaf dogs can participate in this activity as only one dog will work at any one time
7) This activity can virtually be done anywhere. You can do this at home during raining days.
8) Your dog will be mentally and physically stimulated with as little as 10 minutes training at home.
9) It is simple to learn, no formal obedience training is required
10) You don't need special or expensive equipment to start this activity
11) You will develop a special bond and relationship with your dog
12) You will learn to understand and read your dog
13) You get to understand scent movement and the strange world of the olfactory system.